Saturday, 3 January 2009

Tell Me About The War Nan!


When I was a child and spent so many treasured minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years with my Grandmother I would often say to her "Tell me about the war Nan!"
And she loved to sit and tell me all the intricate details of that terrible time in London during World War 2.

From a very early age my Nan was my hero as all the things that she had had to endure during those years was something unbelievable and even at a very young age I knew that and respected her so much. She was such a very strong woman, a warrior really.
In fact I was raised by an army of strong women: my Mother, my Aunts and my Grandmother and I was surrounded by their tales of bravery and survival at a time when all they had were each other.

My Grandmother married very young and had 5 children; 4 girls and a boy, and my Mother was the youngest, a "war baby" at only 3 months old.
My Grandfather was sent away to fight on the frontline and after 5 months my Grandmother received a telegram saying that he had been killed in action, so my Grandmother and her children were left to fend for themselves alone in the London blitz.
"I'll never forget the day I had to sign for that telegram" she said "As I read it my legs gave way and I collapsed there on the doorstep... nothing would ever be the same again"
Life must have been devastating enough upon hearing that she had lost her dear beloved Husband without the fact that London was a city being bombed by the Germans each and every night, endless devastation.

"We just all knew that we had to get on with it: no need complaining..." she would often tell me as I would look at her in awe at how strong she was "I would help whoever I could and we all rallied around to help each other and make sure we all had food to share with our friends and neighbours who all had young children to feed" she would tell me "And I would go to the pawn shop and pawn whatever I could so that I could get a little bit of money to help us or anyone in need too" - a real lesson for people nowadays who don't even know who their neighbours are eh?!

She would go to the local London Underground station each night, which had become the air-raid shelters of London. As soon as the air-raid sirens would begin to sound she would run there, through the streets, with her children in tow.
She would be there with my Mum and my Aunts and Uncle, all huddled up with the rest of the neighbourhood's women and children as the sounds of the bombs were going off overhead, the terrible sounds of war and destruction above ground.
She would tell me about the games they would all play there, the songs they would all sing, the dancing, endless cups of tea from the prepared flasks and sandwiches shared with the people sitting around them, all to keep each other's spirits up... that British spirit that is unbeatable in times of hardship and war, nobody survives like the British.

One morning when they all went back home after a night in the underground tube station they turned the corner into their street and were greeted by their house: totally devastated by a bomb, everything destroyed, everything lost, a mountain of rubble and bricks...
I remember my Nan's tears as she told me: "The only thing I could think of were all the photos, all the memories that were in that house and I crawled through the rubble on my hands and knees picking up the remnants of my life, trying to save all the little things as my knees poured with blood"
I would be crying with her as she told me all of this with a heavy heart, endless rivers of tears running down her cheeks as if it had happened only yesterday... "The only memory I had of my dear Hubby were my photos in that house"
She did salvage some photos and she would show me them with pride, a time long-gone, an end of an era in that house, her loving home.

Neighbours took her in and gave her and her children a room to stay until she found a new home.
They had nothing; no money, no home, no belongings or clothes "But we had each other and that was all that mattered" she told me "Nothing has more value than your own children"
And the war went on....

My Aunts and Uncle, being the eldest, were all evacuated to the countryside and my Mum stayed with my Nan in London as she was still a very small baby.
She did eventually get a new house and started getting it all fixed up and ready, with the help of friends and neighbours, in time for when my Aunts and Uncle would come home again.

I have nothing but total admiration and love for my Grandmother who raised 5 small children alone during a very hard time of war, a time when food was rationed and hard to find, a time when so many people were dying, not only from the bombs but also from diseases and starvation that were so common at that time.
She survived and so did my Mum and her 4 siblings, all growing up without their Father, something that haunted my Mum until the day she died.
It's remarkable how they all survived really and I wouldn't be here today without my Grandmother's love, strength and determination to keep herself and her children alive.

My Grandmother was famous among friends and neighbours as the kind woman who would help anyone, who would herself go without food to give it to a friend's child, who would give warm clothes to a family who needed them, who would share her flask of tea with the family sitting next to them in the London Underground air-raid shelter... who would still find time to laugh in the face of a London at War, still give my Mum and her siblings a happy and very loving childhood.

Yes my Grandmother was my hero! and a hero to many other people too and she would love it when I would look into her wise old eyes with my own innocent 8 year old eyes and say to her: "Tell me about the war Nan!"


25 comments:

Expat mum said...

Blimey! And we all complain about things today. My gran would tell me all about the police who'd come and knock on the door if your blackout curtains let in the smallest chink of light. My dad was evacuated to a farm in Yorkshire and I can't think how awful it must have been for both parents and children.

Pam said...

my mom had the other side of the stories...where the japanese tried to take over the philippines. amazing what our grandparents, and their parents, and so on go through to make sure we have what we have now.

i can tell i would've loved your mum and nan :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Brit,you have told that story beautifully, and the love and respect you feel for that fine woman, your Grandmother, shines through each word.
I do believe that it is very important that these memories are not lost, but are passed down from each generation. Only those of us who have been on the receiving end of rockets and bombs can know the terror. Also a very important phenomema occurred during that time...you must have heard of the cameraderie and spirit of the Blitz-it happened, we all came together to help each other. A spirit that is badly needed again as businesses crash, homes are repossessed and jobs are lost.

Anonymous said...

A marvellous tribute to a fine woman. We cannot begin to imagine the horrors and hardship our families had to endure in order to give life to us.

CJ xx

Gone Back South said...

What a funny coincidence - I was blogging about my grandmother at the same time as you were blogging about yours! Great aren't they, grandmas.

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

Hi Expat mum,
Yes, it's amazing how people endured those extremely hard times eh? and people complain about the smallest of things nowadays.... X

Hi ciara,
Thanks! yes without our Grandparents bravery we wouldn't even be here now! X

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

Hi Moannie,
Thanks so much for your wonderful words!
She really was an amazing woman! and she passed all her experiences onto me, all her memories are in my head now and I often think of her.
And yes she often told me all about the camaraderie during the blitz and how everyone looked out for each other... that truly was amazing! and I feel sad that people have changed so much nowadays and probably wouldn't think to help a stranger in need :(
Those times need to be remembered so that people can get back the British ways during times of hardship again X

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

Hi CJ,
Thanks! Yes those times were exactly that eh?! - Horror.
The people that had to endure all that were truly amazing! X

Hi GoneBackSouth,
Wow! yeah strange coincidence!
Yes, us that have been lucky enough to have grown up with our Grandmother's are extremely blessed indeed!! X

MarmiteToasty said...

This is truely lovely...... fanks for sharing.... there are many many strong woman out there....

x

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

Hi Marmite Toasty,
Thanks for your comment! and welcome to my blog!
Yes it's true there sure are some extremely strong women out there! I feel many would put men to shame!
All the best! x

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Very moving and socially important. this sort of thing needs recording for future kids. well done

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

Hi Grumpy Old Ken,
Thanks! and yes I totally agree! people need to be aware of how people suffered and endured so much during the war - those tales would put all the "moaning minnies" in their place!

Jinksy said...

I began writing my own memories of the war, after my great neice, too, asked 'What was it like?' The stories'll probably end up on a blog, one day - I only wish I knew how to get all the pages I've already written in 'Word', cut and pasted into a blog, for they'd appear far sooner, then! I don't relish the thought of re-typing, as once was bad enough. Maybe if I feel extra enthusiastic one day...

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

What a beautiful tribute to that special lady! Looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree!

Happy New Year to you!

Sandi McBride said...

What a wonderful woman your Grandmother was...and I know that you relive her stories of "daring do" in your head...this was such a wonderful tribute to a wonderful woman...she would be so proud...thank you for sharing her love with us...
Sandi

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

Hi Jinksy,
Thanks for visiting my blog!
You know it is quite easy to copy and paste texts from Word into your blog! I have done that with some of my poems before (instead of writing everything out again...)

Hi Carol,
Thank you so much for your lovely words!! and a very Happy New Year to you too! X

Hi Sandi,
Thank you so much!! She was a truly unique woman!
Give me a clue as to what "Daring Do" means! X

Sandi McBride said...

I've just read your comment on my post and you must tell him to stop! He must put his health above the love of the nicotine, don't smoke with the patch!! That's what caused my heart attacks!!! It's no good trying to put a guilt trip on him like "if you love me, you'll quit" because all the love you feel in the world for your family is sadly not strong enough to break the chains of addiction...it has to be his choice, and I pray his choice is life...please tell him I'm praying for him to kick this habit...
Sandi

Sandi McBride said...

Hmm, and I just read the question...daring do is the ability to put all your fears behind you as you forge ahead to safety, dragging those you love along with you out of danger...
hugs
Sandi

Sergio Brandão said...

Great story! Life's lesson! I can't even imagine what your grandmother have passed... Here in Brazil, fortunately, we don't have "memories" like that!... Your nan was a real heroine, a winner!!! God blesses her! Hugs!

Maggie May said...

I was absolutely fascinated by this tale about your Gran in world War Two.
I was born into the middle of the war so it was my mum who was the one who had all the worry of it etc. I think that generation was very strong. Only the strong survived. There were no antibiotics or much medical help and then having the war to face as well.
You are so good at writing these things down in such a descriptive way.
I think it has made us all stop & think about our own lives and how non of us would have been here if things had just happened a little differently. What would the germans have done to us if the war hadn't have ended the way it did?

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

Hi Sandi,
Ahh o.k. thanks! and thanks so much for your kind words!
Sadly he doesn't want to quit... hopefully one day his life won't revolve around cigarettes and will quit, and before a heart problem or anything else arises from this disgusting habit... X

Hi Sergio,
Thanks so much for your kind words!
She really was an amazing woman! There was nothing she wouldn't do to protect her children and grandchildren!
Big Hug!

Hi Maggie,
Thank you so much for your wonderful words dear friend!
Yes I can imagine that none of us Brits would be here today if the war could have ended differently...
Maybe the Germans would have wiped all our families out... doesn't even bear thinking about eh?!
Hooray for us British and our strong and brave families!!!!! X

Ana Duarte said...

Uma das minhas grandes frustrações na vida foi não ter tido uma avó daquelas que a gente vê na TV, que faz bolo, conta história, bota a gente no colo...

Admirável a sua avó, que ótimo deve ser poder ter essas lembranças!

Ah, deixa eu te perguntar uma coisa, não sei se sabe, mas vendo fantasias de Carnaval para do desfile na Apoteose. Se tiver algum amigo que queira desfilar, peço que indique o meu blog www.fantasiascarnaval2009.blogspot.com

Beijo e até

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

Oi Ana!
Sim foi muito bom crescendo com 2 avos assim e eu tenho muitos lembranças otimos sobre elas!

O.k. amiga eu vou indicar sua endereço do blog para meus amigos... Boa sorte!
Beijos!

RiverPoet said...

That's a wonderful story, Donnie, and I can tell that you were raised by strong women. You seem to have a deep respect for women - as do I. My own foremothers were amazing creatures who had the strength of 300 Spartans.

I'm sorry I haven't been around much. I still read you, I just don't always have time to comment. And here I am, running out the door again.

Much affection - Peace- D

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

Hi Doris!
Thank you so very much for your lovely comment!
Yes it's true they were ever so strong and taught me so much!
Maybe it's something to do with women years ago having more endurance, but they just all seemed like real fighters...
All the very best dear friend and I hope you are feeling better now! X