
After a few posts that weren't so upbeat and full of joy I decided to post a little bit of my story here, after all I am a very positive person and very happy to be finally living the life that I always wanted.... so here goes - My Humble Story, Part One - "London Music":
I come from a family that has always worked in the British newspaper industry, my Father was, and still is, (although he's now semi-retired) a newspaper photographer, he never did anything else all his life and me and my Sister grew up constantly having our photos taken on a day to day basis and also being prepared for endless boring portraits in professional photographer's studios.
My Mother was a journalist and her speciality was the arts: theatre, cinema, music, books... however she gave it up for some years to raise me and my Sister and she worked mostly freelance from home afterwards.
Most of my Aunts and Uncles also work in the newspaper industry as features editors, journalists, printers and copy-taking readers.
So it was inevitable that I would also enter this profession.
Although just before I left school to go to university I shocked my Father with the news that I wanted to become an actor. I had studied drama all my school life and acted in various school plays and local amateur productions and , according to what my drama teacher told me, I had a promising career ahead of me in that field and I had the chance to enter a very good drama school in central London. However at that time I was young and didn't have the confidence to stand up to my Father and his views, who was telling me that acting was a profession for fools who weren't interested in making money or being properly qualified, that I would spend all of my time unemployed...
So off I went to the London School of Journalism to study my future trade and earn my degree.
Incidentally my Sister has been the only "black sheep" in the family as she is a nurse working very long hours in a London hospital, although she isn't working at the moment and I'm not sure if she will ever go back to work as she has recently given birth to a baby Daughter, my first Niece.
Incidentally my Sister has been the only "black sheep" in the family as she is a nurse working very long hours in a London hospital, although she isn't working at the moment and I'm not sure if she will ever go back to work as she has recently given birth to a baby Daughter, my first Niece.
I started working for various newspapers as an assistant journalist until finally finding my vocation as an assistant music journalist, following in the footsteps of my Mother who also worked in that field.
It was 1990 and at that time most of my work had nothing to do with journalism... instead I was making cups of tea, answering telephones, running errands and going out to fetch sandwiches for the "real" journalists, the usual stuff when you are just beginning in the job. It sounds easy but in fact it was hard work and I enjoyed it. Then one day one of the music journalists saw a potential in me and my writing and, in also seeing my huge interest and knowledge of music, he took me under his wing and said that I could work exclusively for him.
It was an exciting time, I was overwhelmed, everything was new, I was young, baby-faced and looking at everything wide-eyed. I was taken along to launch parties for new CD albums by many talented artists, as well as many that weren't so talented as well.
I went to many shows and concerts with an all-access press pass and got to meet some wonderful artists and even sometimes got to talk to them about their life and work, which was amazing. I never had to buy a CD as I would always get them free on pre-release and promotional use only.
I spoke to Robbie Williams for almost half an hour at the launch party of one of his CD albums, I shook Elton John's hand backstage at his concert in 1994 at the Royal Albert Hall and was so in awe of him that I couldn't speak... my throat was dry and I was smiling nervously and sweating profusely as he said to me "So you are entering the world of music journalism? God help us!!" haha!
Me and my family are huge fans of his, I grew up listening to his music from the time I was in nappies and when I was 9 or 10 years old I would sing his songs into an old tape recorder which my Father still has and he has been known to play back tapes of me singing "Benny And The Jets" or "Crocodile Rock" in a high-pitched pre-pubescent voice at various times in my life, to embarrass me in front of family and friends! - I'll get my revenge one day!
So all of the 90's I was in this life of surrealism, a kind of sealed bubble, nothing seemed real and I had no social life or family life to myself - none at all! because I was working 9 to 5 on Mondays to Saturdays, I worked every holiday including Christmas Eve and sometimes New Year's Eve, and many nights during the week after work (and sometimes weekends) I had to go to the CD launch parties, concerts and after-show celebration parties which would go well into the early hours of the morning, in fact most times we would all just roll into work the next day straight from one of those parties without any sleep at all... it was exhausting, fun but exhausting and I felt I had no life to myself... it's a good thing that I love music, but I was permanently knackered.
The parties were sometimes complete madness... there would always be a constant flow of never-ending champagne, alcohol and excellent food, all free for the taking, along with a heavy amount of drug-taking secretly going on "behind the scenes"
There was a huge amount of shallowness in that world. So many people at those parties and events were only there because of being a "friend of a friend" and most of the conversation from those people was absolute drivel... sometimes I would be listening to them and thinking to myself "What the fuck am I doing here?!"
Then there were my friends, who weren't in the newspaper business, who would all be phoning me to get them a free backstage pass to some party or concert and asking me for free CD's.
Anyone who I met at a club or a party outside my work would, within minutes of knowing my profession, be clawing at me to get them into that "wonderful world" and trying to take me home with them for the night to "woo me"
Sometimes I went with them because deep down I felt lonely and I needed to feel wanted, even if it was just for one night, but afterwards I would feel very used and I felt like shit.
I didn't feel real, I felt used by everyone and I wasn't happy at all. Many people would say to me "I bet you really love your job!" and I would reply "Yeah I really do!" Sometimes I would complain about some parts of my job to people and they would look at me as if I was mad and say "But you're so lucky! many people would love to have that job!"
Then when I would be sitting on my own at home, thinking about my life and work, I would think to myself "Wake up! you're not really happy!"
But even so the years went by, the 90's were almost coming to an end, I had given up working on Saturdays so that I could have more of a normal social life. I was good at my job but the music scene had changed vastly over those years and we were entering a phase of "throwaway bubblegum pop" new artists that were so cheesy and talentless that I was becoming more and more tired of my work and meeting so many "hanger-ons" and shallow people who had no conversation other than "Ooh I'm such a huge fan of his or her's...."
There were the solid gold talented artists of course: Elton John, George Michael, Sting, Lisa Stansfield, Robbie Williams, Annie Lennox, e.t.c... whom I love, but they usually only release a CD album every 2-3 years, and in the case of George Michael even more...
As for those that regularly do concerts and world tours Elton John is the only one who really falls into that bracket.
I had started going out more at weekends, now that I wasn't working on Saturdays, and I made a point of not mentioning to people anything about the work that I did, instead I would say that I was just an office boy in a newspaper and so I started meeting some real people, people who didn't want to use me and many were very genuine indeed, I started to enjoy myself on my own terms for the first time in my life.
Then Bam!!! One night I was out with friends in a tapas bar in Notting Hill (the place where I lived in London) and I met someone Brazilian and fell head over heels in love!! I felt it so strongly that I knew it right there and then, it was as if my heart had exploded with joy and felt naturally connected at the same time... It was amazing and my life was beginning to change entirely from that very point on...
I had been saved by an angel and I was the happiest guy in the whole wide world, I was walking on air and I knew that nothing else mattered in my life, all I could think about was being in love and how ecstatically happy and elated I was.
Then Brazil started calling me....
To be Continued.............


24 comments:
Uau!!! A family of journalists!! I didn't know about it. Cool!! I've just read the begining, but i'll come back to read the rest. Passing by to say that i've watched "Secrets and Lies". I've had already watched, but didn't remember how deep it was. Amazing!!
Thanks for dropping by at my place and glad I could bring back some good old fashioned British memories for you!
I think perhaps we have a lot in common. I, too, am passionate about music (though I haven't made that clear in my blog to date). I grew up singing and dreaming of being in Bananarama! One of the best days of my life was spent in a French recording studio. Music enriches every emotion I have ever experienced - and there is a song out there for all of it! I, too, have penned a few songs and one of my hopeless dreams would be to be a lyricist, but don't know where to begin. I met a wonderful, sensitive man once, a real soul mate, who could have enriched my life in this way as he was a musician with his own studio but alas, I met him at the wrong moment in my life. Unfortunately we fell in love, but I was married, so we had to part...it broke my heart.
And I, too, come from a journalistic family: my father was Sports Editor of the Guardian for over 35 years (now retired, but still writing and travelling the world at 80!) and my uncle was head of Publicity at the BBC and my cousin a presenter. I think I tried to step away from it all initially so as not to be following the well-trod path, but eventually, having started in PR, I succombed and tried to get into magazines. All I ended up doing was freelance stuff, though I did edit a travel magazine for a while. Travel has always been a big part of my life as it was travel PR and journalism that I was involved with, despite harbouring dreams, so many years ago, of being a columnist. I always wanted to live abroad, so quite what I'm doing up here in the rainy northwest of England is a mystery to me! Funny old life. Brazil must be fab. (I used to live in Notting Hill too, by the way. Great place.) Oh, and I grew up on Elton John (I like his slow, mournful stuff) and have been a George Michael fan since the beginning (including Wham! - sorry!), I have eclectic musical tastes too but essentially love a fantastic melody, rhythm and lyric - whatever genre more or less (apart from Hip Hop!). But I also know how shallow the music industry and its ilk can be - perhaps why I have not pursued that direction as a career after all.
Photography, too, has played a big part in my life and continues to do so today, so another connection there.
Look forward to reading more about how you got where you are today. It's great stuff.
Hi Isabella!
Yes a part of my life's history! Do come back and read the rest...
Great that you enjoyed "Secrets & Lies"!! that is one of my favourite films of all time!!! and yes it is very deep, and very emotional too eh?! Truly amazing!
See you later alligator!! rsrs
Hi her on the hill!
Thanks so much and thanks for stopping by and reading a bit about me!
Wow yeah, so our paths are very similar! I kind of look at my departure from that job as something that saved my life really, even though it was all very exciting in the first 5 or 6 years...
I also have a second-cousin who is a television presenter in the U.K... well she is an actress now who has done several west-end plays.
Yeah Notting Hill is a really cool place! I lived there for most of my adult life - whereabouts did you live there? I was around Westbourne Grove/Portobello Road...
You should continue with the travel journalism profession! You are lucky as you are in the UK already so you can write in your own language... follow it up and don't give up on your dreams, never!!
O.k. hope to hear from you again soon and take care!!
Muito boa a idéia de lançar aqui uma auto-biografia! Pelo menos, dessa forma, podemos conhecer melhor esse internauta-amigo com quem já nos percebemos falando diariamente!... Gostei de ler aquela parte sobre a entrevista do Elton John... Muito engraçada e compreensível tb!... E quer dizer que vc morava em Notting Hill??? Aquele mesmo lugar do filme com Julia Roberts??? Com aquela trilha sonora m-a-r-a-v-i-l-h-o-s-a??? Gostei muito do filme e da música principal, então, nem se fala!... Ah, devo confessar que estou aproveitando seu blog para exrecitar (ou desenferrujar!) o meu inglês! Só não me sinto ainda seguro para fazer como nossa amiga Isabella, que já te escreve à altura!... rs Mas eu chego lá!!! Abs.
Oi Sergio!
Que legal vc voltei por aqui amigo! e mais uma vez obrigado para seus elogios!
Sim eu morava em Notting Hill, o mesmo lugar do filme! eu assistiu aquele filme aqui no Brasil, no Roxy em Copacabana, e ficou muito estranho vendo minha terra na telão Brasileira!!! uma coisa incrivel e emocionante tb! e claro eu comprei o Dvd e trilha sonora tb! rsrs
ficar vontade para vem aqui e praticar seu Inglês quando vc quer! e um dia eu quero conversar contigo em Inglês tb!
Abração amigo!
omgosh brit...you know i'm glued and can't wait for the next installment!
Fabulous story - OMG you were around Westbourbe Grove and Portobello Road?! I worked at 141 Westbourne Grove in Paddington. Not far from Little Venice. I lived down the road just around the corner from Whitely's and used to drink in a local pub called the Artesian Wells. I loved Nottinghill and we ate around that way regularly. What a small world, eh?
Now to your story - wonderfully well written and so engaging. It's nice to learn a bit of your history and I have been curious as to what led you out to Brazil. So, it looks like you might just be about to enlighten us all. I am so glad that you are posting more as you are one of my favourite bloggers. I'm really looking forward to reading your story as it unfolds. X
Hi ciara,
haha thanks! I told you that you're a real Gossip Girl! haha
Hi MOB,
Wow yeah! small world indeed! I was often in Whitely's and as for Little Venice!! know it so well! I used to go out in Maida Vale a lot!
and the restaurants in Notting Hill were and still are wonderful! so many choices there!
And thanks for your compliments on my post! Soon I will be posting part two...
Big Hug! x
What an amazing story. You are a very interesting guy and have had a great life so far. Most of us will never get to meet our idols such as Elton John, George Michael (mine) so I really admire you for being able to do that.
I'm looking forward to your next instalment.
CJ xx
Hi Crystal,
Thanks so much for your wonderful words!
Yeah George Michael is my favourite singer too!
Check back here in a couple of days as I will be writing part two soon...
All the best and thanks for visiting!
And hope that you continue this soon, I'm on the edge of my seat.
I'll be back...
Sandi
You're a bad person!!! hahahaha
I want to know what happens!
Gosh! It's so bad when you have to make something that you don't like! I have this felling constantly, as I can't say what I really want to everyone...
Ok Irmao! So nice you are telling your story!
I'm looking foward for the part two. :D
I had to set this one aside so I could really get into it rather than just scanning it. What an amazing story you have.
I've spent some time around musicians myself, and I hate the backstage world. It's phony and lewd and very seedy for the most part. But one of the nicest people I ever met was Steven Tyler. He's a guy I would love to have in my personal circle of friends because he was very personable and genuine - nothing like the hangers-on that rested like barnacles all over the place beneath the surface. Ick.
I'll be back to read more - Peace - D
o.k. only 'slightly' a gossip girl...i keep people's real secrets to myself if that's what they ask lol
Ooh, you big tease!
Hi Sandi, Leo, river poet, ciara & expat mum!
Thanks for all your comments and for reading my post!
Watch this space... coming soon!
All the best to everyone!
Dear friend, I've just watched "All or Nothing" again. I say again because i interviewed Mike Leigh for this filme in Cannes Film Festival. Cool!!! I liked it. That family is weird!!! Take care, Isabella.
Hi Dear Friend Isabella!
Great!! It's so great to hear that you are having a real "Mike Leigh Film Festival" in your own living room these past days!! hehe
Yeah that family really is weird! I'm happy to say that my family is absolutely nothing like that!
And did you recognise Sally Hawkins (Poppy from Happy-Go-Lucky) in it? Look out for her in Vera Drake too... she's a real Mike Leigh regular!
Ahh and I'm still waiting for the interview with Mike Leigh that you promised me!
Speak to you soon!
- P.S: I realised after I posted my comment on the site with your report from China that it looked like I was being rude, I didn't mean it to look this way!!
Can't wait for the next installment!
Didn't know you came from such a journalistic background. No wonder you are good at writing!
What a great start to your story. I wondered why you moved to Brazil, and suspected that l-u-r-v-e might have had something to do with it!!!
Hi Maggie,
Thanks dear friend!
I'm writing part two tonight - as soon as it's done I will be posting it here! x
Hi GoneBackSouth,
Thanks! Yeah love is the great motivator! haha
What a great story and you are lucky to have such a great family.
And lucky to be in love...it is so wonderful when that happens. I'll be back to read the rest. :)
Hi lulda casadaga!
Thanks! and thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment!
I have already written part two and it is on my blog now!
All the best!
Post a Comment